My April Play! by Sephora box is themed “Winning Beauty,” playing off a teaser that cites, “Up your beauty game with this month’s batch of sought-after makeup, skincare, and hair care.” Translation: Here’s a box that has no lipstick, foundation, highlighter, powder, bronzer, blush, lip gloss, basically any makeup products except – a mascara.
The big reveal – I received products from Make Up Forever, Clinique, Glam Glow, Fresh, and Youth to the People.
- Make Up For Ever Step 1 Skin Equalizer Primer in Mattifying Primer – Another box, another primer. I have sensitive skin and it reacts horribly to artificial ingredients – like silicone – that tend to block my pores in an effort to extend makeup wear.
- Clinique High Impact Mascara in Black – I’ve received this mascara a couple of times in my life. It’s a nice mascara but it dries out fast.
- Glamglow Good in Bed Passionfruit Softening Night Cream – I’ve hear so many good things about Glamglow but mostly for their face masks. If I am going to wear a moisturizing product overnight, it can’t be with added fragrance – plus I don’t need a night cream, so this just gets put to the side.
- Fresh Sugar Advanced Therapy Lip Treatment in Translucent – This is a valued product – so I’m glad I got another one. This lip balm by Fresh retails for $22 and it really is hydrating and cushiony and supple. It’s my favorite to use besides Vaseline (which, ironically, is fairly cheap). Keeping this in my on-the-go makeup bag.
- Youth to The People Adaptogen Deep Moisture Cream – The name of the brand gave me a hint that this might be a hippie brand (for lack of a better term), and indeed it is psychedelic. According to Sephora, it is a deeply hydrating, calming moisture cream powered by adaptogenic herbs and mushrooms: ashwagandha, rhodiola, reishi, and holy basil. Call me crazy but I’m somebody who thinks the less ingredients, the better. This seems to have gone the other way.
This was definitely not one of my favorite boxes. What do you think? Sound off in the comments below and let me know your thoughts.